According to the research, arthritis is among the leading causes of disability in the united states. Arthritis refers to the swelling of the body joints .It can also be refered to as the tenderness of the joints, especially where two bones meet.
This blog will walk you through all you need to know about arthritis. From its types, causes, signs, symptoms and treatment. Keep reading if you want to get more insights on arthritis.
Examples of joints attacked by arthritis include:
This kind of swelling is characterized by alot pain and stiffness in the body joints. Normally, Arthritis becomes worse depending with the age of the person. Women of the old age ( from 50years) are mostly affected.
Types of arthritis.
There are various types of arthritis and they affect people differently. THe symptoms may be on and off, minor or severe. Types of arthritis include;
1. Osteoarthritis arthritis
It is the most common form of arthritis which occurs when the protective cartilage wears out over along period of time. This type of Arthritis affects and damages most joints of the body. These joints include the fingers, thumbs , hips, spine, knees and toes.
It’s very common in old people mostly the women starting from 50 years and above.
2. Rheumatoid arthritis
Another type of arthritis is the Rheumatoid. It’s an autoimmune disorder meaning that this kind of arthritis affects the immune system which may then result to the inflammation of the joints. This type affect many joints at ones.
3. Psoriatic arthritis
It is a type of arthritis that affects both women and men of different ages and usually comes with psoriasis which is a type of skin condition. It affects the skin, joints and nails.
Causes of arthritis
Arthritis is caused by various factors. Among them are
- Wear and tear of the joint from over use.
- Age: old aged people are mostly affected especially the women.
- Injuries- injuries usually expose the body to infections which causes inflammation.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Muscle history.
- Body or joint weakness.
- Obesity- excess body weight may over-stress the joints leading to arthritis due to genetics.
- Eating sugary foods- sugar is known to increase inflammation of the body parts.
- Metabolic abnormalities. For instance, gout.
- Family history- if there have been a reported case of arthritis in your family, you might have a high chance of getting it.
Signs and symptoms of arthritis
The most common signs of arthritis are;
- Swelling in or at the joints.
- Stiffness of the joint.
- Decreased rate of motion due to numbness.
- Numbness and tangling.
- Chronic fatigue.
Ways to reduce the risk factors of arthritis
In order to reduce the arthritis impact ,the following measures can be applied.
- Healthy living.
- Controlling body sugar.
- Exercise/working out/yoga.
- Avoiding injuries.
- Routine preventive care.
- Eating alot fish which is rich in omega three.
Treatment of arthritis
The truth is that there is no known cure for arthritis. However, Arthritis can be managed through the following ways:
- Practicing body rest.
- Physical therapy.
- Body exercise.
- Use of drugs(NSAIDs).
- Surgery to correct joint damage.