Pornography addiction is a very controversial topic. Some people openly talk about it, while some don’t. Some dread the topic, while others like it. Some do not have a problem with it, while others do.
This post will take you through all there is to know about pornography addiction. From types of sonography, differences between these types, causes, addiction, and how to deal with pornography addiction.
Let’s get started
Types of Pornography
There are two main types of pornography including;
- Hardcore pornography.
- Softcore pornography.
Difference Between Soft Porn and Hardcore Porn.
Hardcore pornography is pornography that depicts sexual organs or activities in great detail, for instance, vaginal stimulation and penetration, anal penetration, live oral sex activities, vaginal and anal fingering, anilingus, men and women ejaculation, and fetish plays.
Softcore pornography, on the other hand, is that pornographic or erotic commercial photography or video that is less sexually graphic. Usually characterized by the absence of penetration, ejaculations, simulated intercourse, and the significance of the physical admiration of the human reproductive organs are all examples of softcore pornography.
Can you be addicted to Pornography?
Pornography addiction is when a person cannot stop viewing it, even if they want to stop. That makes them emotionally dependent on it, resulting in interferences with their day-to-day lives, relationship, and work. Therefore, YES! You can be addicted to porn.
Porn addiction is fundamental in the current world, and those with this kind of addiction spend a lot of time watching it instead of doing other important things at work, school, or even at home. That behavior may keep recurring even when a person wishes to stop(addiction).
What are the causes of Pornography Addiction?
1. Unhealthy societal norms
Some people may be drawn to pornography by preconceptions about how people should look and behave during sex, the types of sex they should enjoy, and other such standards.
2. Biological causes
Certain biological elements, such as changes in brain chemistry due to watching porn, may increase addiction. We are more likely to repeat pleasurable actions if our brain chemistry and functioning are in good shape. The degree to which people enjoy sex differs. People also differ in terms of their preferred sexual behaviors. Certain sexual practices or sexual release may appeal to people they find difficult to resist. Other folks would not have the same difficulties. That is because they do not share the same level of pleasure.
3. Underlying mental health issues.
Pornography can be used to relieve psychological suffering
4. Relationship issues.
Maybe due to the lack of satisfaction during sex.
The psychology-Psychological study has aided us in understanding why people repeat particular behaviors, even when those behaviors have versatile effects. It also helps us understand the causes of sexual addiction.
How Do You Know You Are Addicted to Pornography?
Even before a doctor, counselor, or therapist’s diagnosis, there is a way your body will communicate to you bout pornography addiction. Listen to your mind, behavior, and feeling. One of the main signs is being unable to stop, no matter how willing you want to stop.
The following are some of the warning signs of pornography addiction.
- When your mind is consumed with pornography, even if you are not watching it at that time.
- Watching porn on your phone, computer, or PC, not caring whether you are in public, social institutions, or work.
- Ignoring other responsibilities at the expense of watching pornography.
- Spending vast sums of money on watching pornography than buying other essential things.
- Lower sex satisfaction from your partner, especially if pornography isn’t involved.
- Despite the devastation it inflicts you, your career, your house, and your relationship, you continue to watch it.
- The feeling of shame, depression, and guilty after watching porn.
- Hiding it from your spouse and people close to you i.,e. family.
- You watch something more severe than less extreme to obtain some release.
- Using it as a way to cope with sadness or boredom.
- Failure to quit no matter how hard you try.
How to Deal With Pornography Addiction
There are several pornography addiction help or treatments out there. However, the best treatment of them all begins with you because you are the only person who can stop yourself from watching porn. To stop yourself, try the following pornography addiction help.
- Reduce the temptation: This could be done by cleaning up your phone or computer, delete all pornography content in it. Be careful of the sites you visit on your pc.
- Set up internet sensors that do not procrastinate.
- Spend your free time with family and loved ones
- Embrace healthy habits-This is by replacing the bad habits with the good ones. By this, I mean, instead of watching porn, try yoga or practice some dance steps.
- Get busy: We all know that an idle mind is a devil’s workshop. You might find yourself going to a porn site simply because you are not busy, so do not allow yourself to be idle, exercise, or try a new hobby during your free time.
- Try Guiding and counseling: this is another way of dealing with addiction; a counselor can help you identify the problem better sexual release: Finding a partner instead of watching pornography to be relieved.
- Look for reasons to stop watching it: To stop watching porn, they need to tell themselves the truth. If you admit that you are addicted, then the journey to quitting it simply starts. Block all porn sites on your devices, find something else to do during your free time. You could join a support group or even start working out or a new hobby.
Effects of Watching Pornography
Pornography has so many effects on a human, whether male or female. Some of these effects include:
Addiction ruins life. Watching porn is one of, if not the most, powerful male addictions. Addiction eats up your time, money, and energy while sabotaging your progress and productivity toward your objectives in life which may end up coming in the way of your success, relationship, sexual satisfaction, and happiness.
2. Causes erectile dysfunction in men.
A situation where a man cannot get a boner that can enable him to make love/ coitus. Too much pornography may lead to masturbation, resulting in erectile dysfunction in men.
3. Causes depression.
You may assume this fact, but pornography addiction leads to depression.
When you initially start viewing porn, you will feel satisfied; however, if you continue to watch it regularly, you will need to watch more to attain the same level of enjoyment. You’ll feel withdrawal symptoms if you don’t watch as much as your brain is used to. And for this reason, you may end up depressed.
4. Causes lower sex satisfaction.
Too much pornography may result in lower sex satisfaction with your partner. A big problem that scatters marriages and relationships. When you watch porn, you start having too many expectations from your partner. This will eventually lead to lower sex satisfaction because you expect to experience what you see and wish to achieve.
5. Destroys productivity.
When you’re thinking about pornography all the time, it’s easy to get distracted from your work, relationship, or life itself.
The addiction makes you want to spend every time you have watching pornography.
6. You will stop appreciating people.
This is because of the fantasy world of porn. Everything in porn always looks so perfect, and with this in mind, you might forget what you have. And because you spend the most time watching it, you will detach from your spouse. Thus, you stop appreciating them because you are comparing them to porn models.
7. Causes low self-confidence.
Pornography addiction eventually causes people to have low self-confidence. This is common to both men and women. In women, they tend to compare themselves to lady pornography models. They look at their physique and feel they are not good enough for their partners.
In men, it might be due to the physique but mostly about the entire activity. Because of the scripted and fake things that men see in their fellow men in these movies, they start fantasizing, or they try to do the same to try to satisfy their partners.
8. It also causes violence against women.
Pornography may also cause violence against women. This is because when you watch too much porn, it gets into your mind. For that reason, you want to do everything you see in it. Especially hardcore porn. Some men tie their women up or even spank them so badly due to the fact that they are emulating what they see in pornography movies.
9. It changes your sexual preferences.
Whether you like it or not, too much pornography will lead to changes in your sexual preferences—especially hardcore porn. As time advances, you will also discover that softporn does not excite you anymore.
For this reason, you will opt for a more intense or hardcore movie to watch. That will also transfer to your real life preferences. You may notice that you do not enjoy intercourse with your partner anymore.
10. It ruins people
Believe it or not, porn ruins people’s lives. From their productivity, jobs, relationships, marriages and most importantly sex life.
Pornography addiction treatment
- Relationship counseling.
- Lifestyle changes
- Medication: Sometimes, people use pornography to deal with other health conditions.
When Should One See a Doctor about pornography addiction?
- If one is experiencing sexual dysfunction, such as trouble having or maintaining an erection(men), no lubrication during sex( for ladies).
- If you are having trouble orgasming during sex
- Symptoms of depression, anxiety, or insomnia
- If you are experiencing painful sex, ladies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the triggers for porn addicts?
Most pornography addicts report that stress, depression, boredom, loneliness, frustration, shame, and anger are common triggers for their behavior.
To fully beat porn addiction, seek counseling or therapy and work on your behavior.
What are the 5 stages to beating pornography addiction?
A porn addict cannot just quit pornography in one step; they must undergo some stages to beat the addiction fully. These stages include precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, and maintenance. When a person goes through these stages, they can beat the addiction.
How do you help someone with a porn addiction?
To help someone beat porn addiction, let it be known to them that they are addicted. Reassure them that you are there to support them as they overcome their addiction and that you love and care about them.
The first step to get help is to admit to yourself that you are addicted. Next is to come out and speak to someone about your addiction.
How can I recover from pornography addiction?
To recover from pornography addiction, admit your addiction to pornography, think about your addiction, and get support from a professional. The next step in your recovery journey will be guided by a professional who will assist you in becoming aware of your triggers.
After that, you’ll receive guidance on changing your habits and instructions on what to do, such as changing your environment and exercising.